Beginners Guide to Freelancing in Bangladesh
Now a day’s significant portion of our population is young. Youth generation can change broadly to our whole economy. At present 18 to 35 aged people are more from the total number of population, which is 32 percent of a total number of individuals (Source: CIA – The World Factbook). It was reached up to 40 percent in 2015 to the 2016 year. When any country’s number of young people are most in proportionate wise, then it is called Demographic Dividend or Demographic Bonus. Again, this situation is also known as Windows of Opportunity. Through this condition, the potential development of any country can open the door. If these majority parts of youthful generation are not utilized properly in right time & right way, they will cause a severe burden & a thorny issue in any country’s economy. If Our huge amount of educated operational people is capable their self through an online outsourcing job or as an established freelancer, then it would be one of the great fruitful solutions for our employment area.
Outsourcing is an organizational work which is not turning their job themselves instead they perform by another organization or professional individually. It may be a part of any project or entire projects. Freelancing means not only a specific person work with a particular team, but it also stands for an assortment of contracts with different individual & different group. The freelancer has always had work, determination, freedom & also have freedom when they wish to work. The freelancer is not fixed in traditional office Time zone. Companies are usually reduced expenses by outsourcing. Most of the time outsourcing is done due to lack of sufficient time, effort or lack of technology. Mainly technology-based work – (like – Web Design and Development, Software and Application Development, Article Writing & Content Marketing, Graphics Design, Multimedia & Architecture, Search Engine Optimization Training, Search Engine Marketing, Social Media Marketing, Web Research, Data Entry, etc.) are outsourced. Countries who are providing that type of services they are India, Ukraine, Brazil, Argentina, Indonesia, China, Philippines, Russia, Pakistan, Panama, Nepal, Bangladesh, Romania, Malaysia, Egypt and many other states. Among the whole article, I will try to demonstrate Online freelancing from beginning to end, which can be described as a Beginners Guide to Freelancing in Bangladesh.
Table of Contents
- 1 History of Freelancing
- 2 The Way of Freelancing Work
- 3 Prerequisite to Freelancing
- 4 How to Start Online Freelancing
- 5 How to get clients
- 6 What work to Do
- 7 How to Bid in Freelancing Job Marketplaces
- 8 How to withdraw freelancing earnings
- 9 Process of applying for a new Payoneer Master Card
- 9.1 Fees and Charges – Payoneer Prepaid Mastercard – 2016
- 9.2 How To Activate Your Payoneer Prepaid Master Card
- 9.3 How to Withdraw Payments from Amazon Using Payoneer MasterCard (Payoneer Official Video)
- 9.4 How to receive payments via credit card
- 9.5 How to receive international funds – make payments and access your hard earned cash
- 10 Challenges of Freelancers
- 11 Some Exceptional Marketplaces
- 12 Considerable Topics of freelancing
- 13 Outsourcing in Bangladesh
- 14 The contribution of Freelancing in Bangladesh economy:
History of Freelancing
The history of freelancing in Bangladesh is not much older. This profession has achieved immense popularity in last three to four years. But the clear concept about freelancing exists from the very beginning in many nations around the world. It was started from the year 1998. “GURU”- first freelancing marketplace which was established in 1998 known by SOFTmoonlighter.com. After popularity continuation, numerous market was set up say- Elance.com, RentAcoder.com, Odesk.com, GetAFreelancer.com, Freelancer.com, Limeexchange.com, etc. Due to widespread internet communication freelancing gained enormous reputation day by day in Bangladesh.
The Way of Freelancing Work
If any institution or person (Employer) wants to outsource their work, then they came to freelancing marketplace & invite their bidding process from professional freelancer for that work. In one bid one freelancer mentioned that how many days he has involved reaching the work & for this how much he will receive his fees. In this mode, for one work among many bids which one is worthy and suitable, it is selected by the employer. After this step employer communicated with the freelancer and discussed his detailed work. After completion of the full work payment procedure are finished through the various way which has been described in detail in “how to withdraw money topic”.
Prerequisite to Freelancing
Everybody should have skill about any subject for starting freelancing. Besides, you must experience to gather vast knowledge on internet surfing. If you hold the capability about different topics of computer-related work, then naturally you will be able to work on a large scale. Most of your clients are non-Bengali, so you have to communicate with them in the English language. They can interview you via Skype or messenger services. So it is paramount to good grab in English communication.
How to Start Online Freelancing
When the client is satisfied to see your profile, he will be offering you for giving any work, and he will accept which amount you want to take. So, first of all, you have to prepare your profile nice & organized way which allows any person are interested in working with you. See you around the different marketplace, gather information about their needs & read your profile accordingly. If you make a good quality profile, then you must need some necessary steps:
- Build yourself as a specialist in a particular task. In this case, you will receive the most help (for example – Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc.) & from various video tutorials. In Bangladesh, there are lots of Outsourcing training centers through which people can easily get just about basic preparation tips along with advanced level. Naturally, depending on training centers it’s not sufficient, go sweeping progress you have to learn a detailed knowledge about the work itself.
- According to your skills made some tasks. For example, if you are specialized in web designing then you create some web page & present them to your marketplace profile. Again, if you were then professional about writing or photography, then keep this sample in your profile.
- oDesk.com, Freelancer.com, elance.com, etc. is one of the popular freelancing marketplaces where freelancing skills measurement exam is given. It is emerging. Whose profile is sorted with more review his job getting possibility is higher or games.
- Except for freelancing marketplace, plausibly share your profile & skills in different places –for example, friend circles, social networking sites, blogging sites or forums.
How to get clients
One study shows, the freelancer got their job most commonly through someone reference. If you did not know someone who can refer you, then you have to ready nice & standard profile, also have to patience for wait correct money bid/hourly rate determination. In many cases getting a first job depends on luck. You can get jobs within three days, or it can take time for three months. This is a great test of your patience. Once you get the job, you should complete the task within a determined time frame. As a result, the client will be happy & give you excellent feedback on your work. Afterward, You can get new work from this client.
What work to Do
In a freelancing marketplace, you can achieve various types of task based on your proficiency & experience. Easy tasks are Search Engine Optimization, Article writing, Data Entry, etc. Since these tasks are simple, so their bidding percentage is so high & terrible also to obtain these type of jobs frequently. Between these, a little difficult work is Web Development, Product Development, Software Development, Graphics Designing, etc. Payment behavior of simple task is higher than a difficult task. Which work you will do that depends on which work you want to feel comfortable & its demand in the marketplace. Always you should maintain a balance between two things. How difficult your job, how much time it will take to finish and the rate is determined by experience. Fixed payments tasks start from 5 dollars to 1000 dollars or more. On the other hand, Hourly Payments functions start from 3 dollars to 100 dollars or more.
How to Bid in Freelancing Job Marketplaces
Mainly bidding are two types:
- Project Fee: When any project is presently in the marketplace, then how much charge you want to demand you can quickly bid it for finishing point of your entire project.
- Hourly Rate: In this method, you can offer clearly that how much price you desire to claim for hourly basis work.
- Fixed Rate: In this process after completing the project you will get the payment.
How to withdraw freelancing earnings
Bank-to-Bank Wire Transfer:
You can bring money directly to your bank account from some marketplace. But it cannot do in all marketplaces, in that case, you can utilize different services for online payment transaction process. In this procedure firstly your money will be deposited into your account as a dollar in the marketplace. After receiving that money, you can transfer to Skill (Ex Moneybookers) or such type of any money service accounts. In this situation, you may have to pay transfer fees depending on the marketplace. Later from any bank account in your country the skill of the money you can bring it quickly. In this step, a bank can cut up another transfer fee from you. So you must keep in mind that a bank must have a SWIFT Code. Otherwise, your money will not move from the skill. This whole operation takes time near about one month for its transaction procedure. Next operations complete within seven days. Getting SWIFT Code of Bangladesh Bank, we can see the below link: “The List of Swift Codes.”
Direct transfer from client:
When someone becomes your regular client, then you will not move to the marketplace for acquiring a project. He will give project through communicating with you directly via e-mail, or any other ways & plan payment will transfer straight into your bank account.
Payoneer Prepaid Master Card:
You can get a Payoneer prepaid master card for withdrawing any quantity of money at any time from your marketplace through the exchange of fixed amounts. It’s one kind of prepaid debit card. With this card from the ATM booth, you can withdraw your deposited amount in the marketplace at any time, around the world. By using this card, you can manage an online shopping too. Through this card permitted you to transmit money from your relatives or friends master card or visa card who are staying in overseas.
Process of applying for a new Payoneer Master Card
Step 1: Go to this link
( https://share.payoneer.com/nav/zLJKx_7-qQJCXphWYNnWHjP4ipU2hFNyONyP_pFBSxVGvVmr3SjpJ0-0-I32Iu-DaZc6vNfr1PouKdnBXlmCgA2 ) and click on the sign-up button
Step 2: Fill up your first name, last name as it is on your National ID Card or passport. Then provide a valid email ID and date of birth.
Step 3: This section is excessively critical. Provide your contact address correctly where the card will be delivered.
Step 4: Enter a secure password and a security question.
Step 5: Give your ID Card information and agree to the terms and conditions. Don’t forget to check all 3 Requirements Box. Then click on the “ORDER” button.
Step 6: Add Bank Information.
Step 7: Check your email for further instruction. Then you need to upload your scanned copy of National ID, driving license or passport whatever you provide previously. I hope within 20 Working Day you will get your Payoneer card at your home.
Fees and Charges – Payoneer Prepaid Mastercard – 2016
How To Activate Your Payoneer Prepaid Master Card
Helpful Link from Payoneer Blog: http://blog.payoneer.com/how-to-activate-your-payoneer-card/
How to Withdraw Payments from Amazon Using Payoneer MasterCard (Payoneer Official Video)
How to receive payments via credit card
How to receive international funds – make payments and access your hard earned cash
Helpful link from Payoneer Blog – http://blog.payoneer.com/how-to-add-funds-to-your-payoneer-account-payoneer/
Challenges of Freelancers
Freelancing work has some endless possibilities as well as some challenges. For example:
- There is a no fixed schedule for work when the client will demand; then he has to show his work progress.
- People who are working in the freelancing area, newly their monthly income may fluctuate randomly.
- Always all clients promise word are not same, after completing the work somebody was later to their full payment than the promised time.
- Even this profession is not recognized socially in our country. However, the viewpoint of our people is changing swiftly.
Some Exceptional Marketplaces
Odesk.com, Elance.com, Freelancer.com- except these traditional sites there are some conspicuous places in the freelancing area shortly their description is given below:
99designs.com: Graphic design based sites are given awards through competition arrangement. The amount of the reward is better than any other site. Here the client will offer detailed information according to his demand or work nature; you do not have to any application for getting the job. You will design according to his comprehensive information & upload it to your competitor’s pages. Your model will see the corresponding client. Many designers like you will upload his design to the client. Which design client will choose then select it & finally he will give reward or project money to perfect designer.
Themeforest.net: Themeforest graphic designing is a popular site about designing era. Here graphic designer can make sale their design template & if he is a developer, then he can sell design as well as HTML & CSS coding too. Themes are selling in Themeforest, Graphicriver is for graphics sale, Codecanyon is for code deal, Photo demo is for stock photography sale & 3d motion is for 3d animation sale are the most popular marketplace.
Fiverr.com: Fiverr is one of the traditional markets. Here a newcomer can quickly open a gig or offer a job. There is enormous possibly to earn a lot of money from a single gig.
Considerable Topics of freelancing
- A Major portion of the freelancing projects comes from the western countries, the difference of our time with them from 5 to 12 hours.
- To understand, whether the work is genuine or not someone who has been posting this project in the marketplace his account should observe very well.
- Always try to retain the high-quality client. You will not find the same behavior from all clients, which is better than try to best to hold him.
- The marketplace you are working if there is escrow service then utilize it at a maximum rate. Escrow is a deposit money service on the market where after the end of work ensure you get your fees. Discuss any project you can request your client to store your full amount in the escrow service. After paying to the escrow, a client will not take it back. After completing the project tasks, he will discharge money to your account from the escrow service. If your client does not pay, then you can claim to the appropriate authority for you owe money through the escrow service.
- The employer arranges an interview for some projects. The projects have been started for the discussion do not bid on them, since the meeting has begun so the possibility of getting jobs from them is much less.
- Learn to handle the workload. In a freelancing profession, the workload is not equal all time. When the work pressure is higher than it is a great challenge to control own self. You should develop a healthy food habit as a preparation. Later maintain this practice.
- Keep an eye on modern technological developments. All the time try to improve your quality of tasks. It will assist you to maintain your best profile.
- You do not take a decision with hurry rather you should think about assigning tasks, whether you can finish 100 percent.
- In some marketplace at the time of bidding a cover letter is given. In this case, the cover letter must have relevance. Same type template does not use in all cover letters.
- Prove yourself that all cover letters are made by your thoughts, by this, your creativity will express.
- Always keep neat & clean in your working area. Do not forget to take the time to rest. To remember your daily work, you should preserve a small notebook with you.
- Communication with the client or audio/video interview you have to maintain professional dress & behavior.
- You should not forget to ask questions to your client whether your work choice or not because you can learn many things from clients’ feedback.
Outsourcing in Bangladesh
Three most popular marketplaces among Bangladeshi freelancers are Odesk.com, Freelancer.com, Elance.com. Bangladesh has an exalted position in these three sites.
Upwork is one of the largest company among all online outsourcing marketplaces. Bangladesh is in 3rd position on this freelancing website. At present, there are 7000 active Bangladeshi freelancers and the number is increasing day by day. For this reason, oDesk organized “Contractors Appreciation Day (2012)” and several top shots from oDesk visit Bangladesh for this purpose. In 2009 only 2% of Odesk job performed by Bangladeshi freelancers. In 2012 it became 12%. In 2012 quarter Bangladeshi freelancers worked 7 Lac 20 thousand hours in Odesk.
Freelancer.com has more than 25 thousand registered Bangladeshi freelancers. Bangladeshi freelancer’s performance is good in this other modern marketplace. In this site, Bangladeshi people mainly do the Social Media Marketing and Search Engine Optimization work. As freelancer.com purchased scriptlance.com so, lots of Bangladeshi programmers are operating in Freelancer.com now.
Bangladesh also in the first row in Elance.com. In one latest report, Elance officials publish top 25 countries name in contractor by geography category. The USA ranked first position and India in the second. According to the published report, there are 39 thousand 195 (up to 6th April 2013) registered freelancers on this site. The average hourly income is 9 dollars for Bangladeshi freelancers. Till now Bangladeshi freelancers earn 49 Lac US dollar from this site.
Bangladeshi people mainly do the Data Entry and SEO/SEM/SMM type of work. Beside this Web Development, Software Development, Writing & Content, Design, and Multimedia & architecture kind of work also mentionable. Web development and software development project has high funding. Bangladeshi freelancer needs to involve them in this sort of work. It is observed that one Bangladeshi Search Engine Optimizer charged 3 to 10 dollars per hour whereas one USA web developer charged 30 to 100 dollars per hour. He can charge this high amount only for his skill. Bangladeshi freelancer needs to more power in this regard. We should concentrate more on skill building so that outsourcing in Bangladesh will be more gorgeous.
The contribution of Freelancing in Bangladesh economy:
As an import oriented country, a significant portion of foreign remittance comes from NonResident Bengali people. In 2012 the overseas worker sent 14 billion US dollars to Bangladesh (Source: world bank). If we consider 10% growth rate it will become near about 19 billion in 2015.
Now come to the outsourcing industries. In 2012 Bangladeshi freelancers earned more than 365 crore taka. Within 2015 near about 4443-billion-dollar works, well done through outsourcing. If we can take 10% of this job, then we can earn 45 billion US dollars. If we can take 5% market share, then the amount will be 23 billion, which will become the largest source of a making of foreign remittance.
Fifty percent people in our country are women. A significant portion of them does not contribute to the national economy. If they can give 3-4 hours of time in freelancing and they can easily earn the 3-4 dollar per day for this. If the total workforce is seven scores than women are 3.5 hearts. Among them, educated girls and females are 50 lacs. If we can develop them as a freelancer, we can earn 1.5 core US dollar per day from this. It became 500 cores US dollar yearly.
Credit: Farzana Ahmed
Freelance Writer at oDesk, Fiverr and Advance IT Institute